Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chronicle Trailer

I was looking at recently released movie trailers while watching the Bucs take on the Bears. And I came across a trailer for Chronicle. I clicked on the trailer because of the poster , not because of the name because frankly its sucks.

Photobucket

The poster is taken in Seattle (the Space Needle gave that away) on a stormy day. I looked harder and it seemed to have three people floating in the air. My thoughts went straight to that maybe this will be another horrible Alien flick but I was greatly surprised as the seconds ticked by on the trailer.

Here is the trailer watch for yourself.



Ok the first twenty seconds sucked bad. What horrible way to start a trailer for a superhero/alien movie, even if it is directed towards a high school audience.

Moving on;

When the kids stabbed the other with the fork, I was hooked. Then the whole teddy bear scene made me laugh so hard. The car theft scene was eh, till the guy said “yes it was the black guy this time” that is great writing.

Then it develops the story of one of the three friends turns “evil” because as we all know power is turns us greedy and with great power comes great responsibility.

And yes I just quoted Spiderman.

Even though the trailer developed the story, it did not give away the whole movie. It left some mystery and now a days people want way to much from trailers and studios are giving way to much away.

The super power they have reminds me of the Force mixed with a little bit of Magneto, which is a cool twist.

Towards the end of the trailer, the trailer rewinds itself and it shows the three friends climbing into a cave, well or a crater? I am not quite sure which. But if you pause just right you can see something blue (and shiny?) which leads me to believe the theory that this will end up being an alien movie (but this take on it would be pretty sweet) or some type of ancient power. Like the three friends find some mystical “thing” that gives them great power.

Either way seems pretty awesome. That’s the plot I have picked up on, now let’s talk about the tech side.

This film marks theatrical debut of director Josh Trank who had previously worked on TV miniseries “The Kill Point” back in 2007. “The Kill Point” is a great series definitely recommend checking that out.

Chronicle is written by relatively unknown screen writer Max Landis.

It also stars relatively unknown actors, which in my opinion adds to the awesomeness of the movie and gives to a more believable story. Sometimes its hard to believe an actor as an character because they have been in so much that you see them as an actor and not as the character.

I think for movies like this the best thing to do is to get up and coming actors to star because it helps save money in the acting department in order to put it towards more important things like CGI. And this flick seems very heavy on CGI and so again this will help the movie.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the shots (in the trailer) was filmed in the same manner as Clover Field, using the first person/ handheld camera technique, which adds to the realness factor of the movie. And I think that is what caught my attention most from the trailer. A lot of the trailer felt like these three kids where just “chronicling” their adventures which might be why they chose the title “Chronicle.”

Set to be released in February of 2012, Chronicle shall definitely be an interesting flick to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment